Politicians on latest local lockdown measures in Conwy and Denbighshire

POLITICIANS are calling for ‘transparency’ from the Welsh Goverment after local lockdown restrictions hit Conwy and Denbighshire.

The counties, as well as Flintshire and Wrexham, have been under new specialised measures since October 1 at 6pm. These measures have been imposed in response to a sharp increase in coronavirus cases.

Darren Millar, MS for Clwyd West, said: “We were warned last week that Conwy and Denbighshire were being closely monitored, but had all hoped that cases would not rise further and we could avoid further restrictions.

“This news will come as a devastating blow to residents and businesses in all those areas affected and I know that many will question whether such measures are entirely necessary.

“The Welsh Government needs to be fully transparent and outline to all residents of Denbighshire, Conwy, Flintshire and Wrexham why such restrictions in these areas are needed, including sharing community by community data so that we can see whether the measures are proportionate.”

“Local businesses will also need extra support, especially those in the tourism and hospitality industry.

“Firms were hit for hit for six by the lockdown earlier in the year and are only just beginning to recover, it is essential that they get the support they need.

“I urge people to follow the rules to help keep the number of cases down so that these restrictions can be lifted as soon as possible.”

Dr James Davies, Vale of Clwyd MP, is also calling on the Welsh Government to be transparent in its justification for the new measures and is asking them to be reviewed ‘regularly’

He said : “I have been following local Covid infection rates with some concern in recent times. The levels have been creeping up in household and healthcare settings and many people are very concerned about this.

“Equally I have heard from large numbers of constituents who are sceptical of the need for further restrictions and quite rightly have great concerns over their negative impact.

“To allow the virus to spread unabated would be unthinkable when immunity levels among the vulnerable are so low.

“I would urge the Welsh Government to be fully transparent in its justification for the new measures to be put into force and to ensure that these are reviewed regularly.”

Janet Finch-Saunders, MS for Aberconwy, has spoken of her concern for vulnerable constituents.

“Research carried out by Age UK earlier this year found that over two fifths of people aged 70 and over believed that their mental health had been affected badly by Coronavirus. This is a real concern for my constituency, where the demographics tends to skew older,” she said.

“Throughout the previous lockdown, Conwy County Borough Council did a truly commendable job in providing a strong net of support for our local communities. But this came at a cost to our local authorities, and they are still reeling from the lack of funding support provided by the Welsh Government.

“I have urged the Welsh Government to consider reviewing their rules to ensure that a loving support network is provided to some of society’s most vulnerable.

“Authorities must ensure that due respect is given to our right for private and family life.”

David Jones, MP for Clwyd West, tweeted: “Conwy and Denbighshire are put into lockdown by ministerial fiat, on the strength of six news cases and four in Denbighshire.

“Economic and social damage [is] potentially huge.

“We need more scrutiny of ministers in Westminster and Cardiff.”

North Wales Pioneer | Llandudno