Man injured in Llandudno crash escorted from court as defendant fined and banned

A MAN injured in a crash had to be escorted from court after protesting that the full story of the incident had not been revealed.

The man, who was not named, told magistrates in Llandudno: “I want the truth, that’s all I want. I am injured and I’m still receiving physiotherapy.”

The outburst came during a hearing into the case of Duncan Birt, of Bodafon Street, Llandudno, who had previously pleaded guilty to driving with excess alcohol and having no insurance.

Prosecutor Helen Hall said that, in the early hours of February 18, police were called to a crash in Mostyn Broadway, where a car had hit a barrier and a pedestrian.

READ MORE:

Boy, 12, banned from Rhos-on-Sea after criminal damage to school

Man to pay more than £600 after stealing cooking oil in Conwy

Fines and ban for Penmaenmawr man who drove drunk and obstructed police officers

When Birt, the driver, was breathalysed, he was found to have 80 micrograms of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath, the legal limit being 35.

Birt told police that he had been out with a friend but she became too drunk to drive.

He himself had four drinks and believed he was “OK” to drive, but didn’t know the vehicle.

Andy Hutchinson, defending, said that Birt, 58, who was in remission for cancer, had swerved to avoid the pedestrian.

That prompted the man to call out: “I was on the pavement all the time.”

Mr Hutchinson said the case had previously been adjourned to determine whether the man had been hit by the car or the barrier.

Birt was fined £120 on each of the two charges and ordered to pay costs of £85 and a £34 surcharge.

He was also banned from driving for 22 months.

North Wales Pioneer | Llandudno