ANIMALS get themselves up to all sorts – and nobody sees that more than the RSPCA’s team of rescuers.
In 2021, 281,390 incidents were reported to the charity’s frontline teams via its emergency hotline – 17,930 in Wales.
Between January 1 and November 30 2021, there were 996 calls relating to Conwy, 849 for Denbighshire, 754 for Gwynedd and 486 connected to Anglesey.
A memorable incident for Llandudno was the rescue of 21 wild goats from the Great Orme. Officers from the animal welfare charity were contacted after the stranded goats were spotted on the unstable rocks near the sea, in an area known locally as Austin’s Rock. A path of hay bales, for the goats to climb back to safety, was created.
The RSPCA has revealed some of its other top rescues of 2021.
One incident includes rescuers abseiling down steep cliffs in the Rhondda Fach valley, Rhondda Cynon Taf, to help a stranded sheep.
There was a “bizzare” badger rescue; two badgers needed help after getting trapped on a ladder in a canal in Torfaen, Gwent, and in Flint, George the puppy needed help after getting his teeth stuck on the bars of his crate.
Kate Atkins had been crate-training her 11-week-old Westie pup when she heard him squealing and found he’d got his top jaw stuck on the bars. She called the fire service and RSPCA officers for help. Inspector Anthony Joynes travelled to Flint to help.
He said: “George was in a real pickle. He was in a very uncomfortable position and his owner had had to hold him for 45 minutes while I rushed down to their home to help.”
Bolt-cutters were used to cut through the bars.
Kate said: “Anthony managed to cut George out quite quickly and I gave him a big cuddle before taking him to the vet for a check up.
“Thankfully, he hadn’t sustained any major injury, other than a few bruises, and I was able to settle him down when we got home, tired and a bit quiet.”
A cat used up one of her nine lives after getting trapped on a roof under solar panels. This was in Dinas Powys, South Glamorgan.
In June, members of the public in Chepstow, Monmouthshire, were shocked to see a deer stuck on a garage roof.
The deer had wandered onto the rooftop but was then unable to walk back up the sloping tiles.
Rescuer Sian Burton and fire and rescue came to the deer’s aid but, in her fright, she jumped and tumbled 10ft to the ground.
Fortunately, she didn’t appear injured and after some monitoring, Sian was pleased to watch her trot away.
In November, the RSPCA came to the rescue after a cat got stuck in a tiny gap underneath pipeworks in a top-floor flat in Mold.
Inspector Phil Lewis raced to the scene and was able to access the stranded moggy by removing plastic panelling from the wall.