HOMELESS people living at a Llandudno bed and breakfast will be moved to new temporary accommodation, following a planning application being refused.
The council had been using the B&B as temporary emergency accommodation during the pandemic, but its licence expired on July 5.
The application to grant temporary permission for a change of use was submitted by applicant Manhattan Rentals.
But the application was rejected by councillors after the council received dozens of letters from angry hoteliers complaining of anti-social behaviour, drug use, and regular police visits to the area.
Now Conwy County Council has said it is looking for new homes for the residents.
Cllr Emily Owen, cabinet member for housing and regulatory services, said: “The Homeless Prevention Team will need to organise alternative temporary accommodation for each of the households,” she said.
“We currently have over 580 people living in temporary accommodation, and due to the rising cost of living and increasing numbers of private-sector landlords issuing Section 21 notices, amongst other reasons, numbers are increasing.
“Homelessness can occur to any one of us for a variety of reasons, such as relationship breakdown, rent or mortgage arrears, flood, fire, or a private tenancy coming to an end.
“The Homeless Prevention Team will continue to offer advice, assistance and accommodation to each of the households.”
The council said it will now revisit its Holiday Accommodation Area (HAZ) and policies as part of its replacement Local Development Plan review.
Conwy also says it will carry out a review of current holiday accommodation and of the ‘planning challenges surrounding serviced accommodation’.
The authority says it will hire consultants, engage with stakeholders, and produce a report with recommendations to protect the tourist industry.
The council also said a working group has been set up and that its HMO policy was also under review.