Aerial pictures show a hive of activity at the Gwrych Castle – I’m A Celeb 2020 filming location

AERIAL images show a hive of activity at the I’m a Celebrity castle camp as work continues ahead of the show.

New drone photos – showing large cranes, workmen, vehicles and scaffolding – reveal construction is ongoing at Gwrych Castle in Abergele, amid worries the series could be at risk due to local lockdowns.

The new restrictions – implemented in Conwy and Denbighshire – mean people can’t enter or leave the counties without a reasonable excuse.

It is alleged that producers have considered postponing the series – but locals say there has been no sign of work halting at the site.

Marc Bowen, pub worker in Abergele, said: “There’s been no let up as far as we can see, but you can’t get that near to the site due to all of the security.

“It’s like Alcatraz up there but there’s been comings and goings constantly, so it doesn’t seem like they are going to cancel it any time soon.

“I’m sure it would be too costly for them to ditch at this stage, they will make it happen one way or another. The area is still buzzing with workmen.”

Delyth Rees-Dykes, who runs the Beauty Rooms beauty salon in Abergele, said: “The whole town is fully behind the show coming here.

“It’s all been very exciting and it would be a shame if they had to suspend it but in the current climate you just never know.

“You can see all the cranes and marquees but the site is so locked down you can’t see exactly what is going on up there.

“We had been looking forward to an influx of visitors and a boost to the local economy but we are in local lockdown so that might not happen now.”

Marquees and a large white structure have been built on site.

Cllr Sam Rowlands, leader of Conwy County Borough Council, said last week the show is not under threat despite new lockdown restrictions in surrounding Conwy and Denbighshire.

“There is really good measures in place to ensure safety of staff and the community,” he said.

“It is good to see and hear the support of Vaughan Gething, Wales’ health minister, and Dafydd Elis-Thomas [deputy minister for Culture, Sport and Tourism].

“With crew staying at the caravan park – the measures are all really good.

“Anybody going on site are getting temperature checks, filling in forms. They have very good procedures in place.

“You fill in a form, get a band, there is security. There is also a sense of normality which I think is important as it is also a place of work.

“They are doing more than enough.”

Construction to restore the castle and transform it for the new series began last month in preparation for the latest group of celebs and Bushtucker Trials.

Stars linked with this year’s series include former EastEnders actress Tamzin Outhwaite, Love Island’s Tommy Fury and Boyzone star Keith Duffy.

It is believed ITV has forked out £1million to host the series at the 200-year-old castle.

Presenters Ant and Dec star in a brand-new trailer for the upcoming series of I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out Of Here!

The promo began airing on ITV before the final of Britain’s Got Talent on Saturday.

The promo was filmed on location in Llandovery, Carmarthenshire, Wales.

North Wales Pioneer | Llandudno